Friday, August 28, 2009

Owl Always Love You Dress












Like many little girls of the 70s, I loved the images of owls that were so popular then. So when I spotted this adorable owl fabric, it immediately grabbed my attention. Happy little owls in vivid colors of peacock blue, fuchsia pink, tangerine orange, milk chocolate brown, and grass green.

Not just fun to look it, it is lusciously soft to touch. Perfect for clothing. It would great as a skirt. Sweet as twirl dress. Fun as pants. Cute as a peasant dress. But as I played with the possibilities of what to do with this fabric, I kept thinking of one of my very favorite outfits from childhood. It was a royal purple corduroy wrap dress with matching bell bottoms to wear underneath. I looooved it and wore it every chance I got. Of course, it was handmade by my Mom.

None of the major or boutique pattern companies had what I imagined. So inspired by those happy memories, I set out to create a pattern of my own - something with that feel but a current vibe. This is the result. Modern silhouette, feminine but not too girly detail. For fun, I made it reversible - something little girls love! On the flipside: my favorite color - polka dots.

2 comments:

  1. I love it! The owl fabric is one of my favorites for this season, I made myself a jumper (I may be the only girl in her mid-20's wearing this fabric, but I don't care!).
    Love the versatility of the top, is the reverse corduroy also?

    ReplyDelete
  2. where did you find this fabric? too cute!

    ReplyDelete